"Lyon, France, May 31, 2011 -- The WHO [World Health Organization] /International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B), based on an increased risk for glioma, a malignant type of brain cancer, associated with wireless phone use." ,[11a] Robert Baan, PhD, was the principal author of the 2011 IARC Monograph on the carcinogenicity of radiofrequency radiation. His interpretation of the May 31, 2011 classification by IARC of RFR as a Possible Human Carcinogen (a 2B classification): Baan says that the IARC RFR classification as a Possible Human Carcinogen applies to all types of RFR exposures including smart meters.
"So the classification 2B, possibly carcinogenic, holds for all types of radiation within the radiofrequency part of the electromagnetic spectrum, including the radiation emitted by base-station antennas, radio/TV towers, radar, Wi-Fi, smart meters, etc."
Baan also says that the RFR level matters.
"An important point is the radiation level. The exposure from cellular phones (personal exposure) is substantially higher and much more focused (usually on the brain) than exposures from radio/tv towers, antennas, or Wi-Fi."[11b]
Similar to the allegations that government "watchdog" agencies like EPA, FDA, & USDA serve better the interests of industry than public safety, it is claimed the FCC is more concerned with economic progress than with vetting safe levels for wireless technology it licenses. , [62a]
Some claim that reactions to and reported effects of electromagnetic pollution are psychosomatic.  Some blind studies show otherwise  though an earlier meta study of 31 patients showed a poor correlation between EHS individuals being better able to distinguish the presence or absence of fields.  But there is an association between EHS and tinnitus. 
Electromagnetic Radiation is a Major Public Health Concern
Here are a few documented and published facts about sensitivity to electromagnetic radiation:
• At least 9.8 million people in America suffer from sensitivity to electromagnetic radiation and
• EMR affects people of all ages, economic status, race, and both genders (Levallois 2002). The vast majority have not been diagnosed properly by a health care provider.
• People who are sensitive to electromagnetic radiation have significantly higher natural rates of membrane leakage as measured by their skin conductance (Eltiti et al. 2007). This leaking of ions short-circuits natural electrical potentials and triggers nerve impulses to the brain.
• Blood tests of electrosensitive patients show thyroid dysfunction, liver dysfunction and chronic inflammatory processes (Dahmen, 2009).
• The concentration of persistent organic pollutants is higher in subjects who are sensitive to electromagnetic radiation when compared to controls (Hardell, 2008).
• Dirty electricity elevates blood sugar among electrically sensitive diabetics and may explain brittle diabetes (Havas, 2008).
• Significant cognitive and neurobiological alterations point to a higher genuine individual vulnerability of electromagnetic hypersensitive patients (Landgrebe et al, 2008).
• Electrosensitive patients show altered central nervous system function (Landgrebe et al, 2007).
Since the 1930s our government and scientists have known EMR - even in low, non-thermal intensities can be harmful to living things but allowances were made first for military use, then industrial and commercial uses.  Human beings are bioelectrical systems. Our hearts and brains are regulated by internal bioelectrical signals. Environmental exposures to artificial EMFs can interact with fundamental biological processes in the human body, including DNA reproduction. In some cases, this can cause discomfort and disease. Since World War II, the background level of EMF from electrical sources has risen exponentially, most recently by the soaring popularity of wireless technologies such as cell phones, cordless phones, WI-FI and WI-MAX networks. Several decades of international scientific research confirm that EMFs are biologically active in animals and in humans, which could have major public health consequences." 
Intermittently pulsed emissions can be more harmful or perturbing to plant and animal tissue than continuous waves of the same power and frequency. Smart Meters operate by periodically reporting a customer's usage back to the utility in very short data bursts. These meters are set up to work in tandem with neighboring meters to relay their readings to neighborhood collector nodes and eventually back to the company.